Monday 5 October 2015

The topic of the essay


During the briefing lecture we had last week, where Simon introduced us to our first module of Context of Practice, we were given 6 different topics/questions to base our work on. They were the following:

  • “To what extent have Modernist design principles influenced contemporary Graphic Design?”
  • “How did Postmodernism impact on Graphic Design practice?"
  • "To what extent does advertising construct our ideas of gender?"
  • “Discuss the role that Graphic Design can play during periods of political and/or social upheaval."
  • “What is the relationship between branding and The Consumer Self?”
  • "What is the role of print media in the digital age?"

The two in bold are the ones I was most interested on. After thinking on it for a while, I decided to go for the first one, advertising and gender, as now it has been some time since I became very interested in feminism, so I think this is a very good opportunity to take my personal concerns to an academic level. Writing an essay about how gender roles are tremendously affected by advertisement it is something I think I can really talk about. Besides, applying these ideas into a design could also be an opportunity to explore new concepts.

Following Simon's suggestions on eStudio, I borrowed 3 books that are being really helpful in my preparation:
  • A short guide to writing about art - Sylvan Barnet
  • Visual and other pleasures - Laura Mulvey
  • Media, Gender and Identity - David Gauntlett

So far I have been reading the first one: A short guide to writing about art as preparation for next session and I find it really interesting and handy, as English is not my first language and writing about art in academic terms is not something I have done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment