Friday 2 October 2015

Helvetica

During Simon's introduction to our first brief, 'This is Graphic Design', he mentioned the documentary Helvetica. He said something like: 'Have you guys watched the documentary ? No!? Well, it's amazing' with an expression on his face that suggested that we had to do it ASAP, so I wrote it down (before realising that it actually is on eStudio). One or two days after, I was checking my notes and I decided to use my free time in the library to watch the mentioned film. A very well invested time, I must say.

I believe that the director, Gary Hustwit, did a great job taking us into a historical and contemporary journey. The film starts with great designers, such as Wim Crouvel or Matthew Carter, convincing you on how amazing and perfect Helvetica is because of its impossible-to-improve design, its subtlety and its adaptability. In the middle part, other geniuses in Graphic Design, like Erik Spiekermann, attack the typeface with strong arguments, stating that Helvetica lost its personality and function long time ago. That it is what people that do not know about Graphic Design use, and many other reasons. And just when I was starting to hate Helvetica, some other brilliant designers explain that you cannot do anything against something that is genuinely good. That Helvetica does not have a personality itself, it is able to adopt designer's. Many very well presented contradictory opinions that made me question myself about my own tastes. The documentary made me also realise something I was not aware of before, that Helvetica is everywhere. Literally, just like air, as many designers compare during the film.

Helvetica was not just a very nice cinematographic experience in terms of narrative, photography, music and content, but also a great opportunity to see how top designers spoke about other related aspects of design. Like Massimo Vignelli, now deceased, spoke about modernism and post-modernism, a period he claimed it was when artists were running like chickens without head when choosing a typeface. He also claimed something I found really interesting, since I do not like to be obvious when designing:


"I don't think that type should be expressive at all. I can write the word 'dog' with any typeface and it doesn't have to look like a dog. But there are people that think that when they write 'dog' it should bark".

Also, watching Erik Spiekermann speaking in a private environment was like looking through a hole how he actually felt about the design world in general, as he was confessing some feelings in a youthful and funny way.


"The guy who designed it (Helvetica) tried to make all the letters look the same. Helloooo. That's called an army, that's not people because people doesn't have the same fucking helmet on".


I can say this film changed my life. Yes, I am serious. It is impossible for me not to see that Helvetica is everywhere now. My favourite font used to be Helvetica Neue Ultra Light, now I do not know anymore. Did I like it by myself or I was told by Max Miedinger's bright mind to love it? Graphic Design can get really serious, and I am just getting started.





No comments:

Post a Comment